Once upon a time..
..my host computer was crashed. Just at this time a virtual machine over a network was running (in VMware Player 5.0.1). The files have been saved on a local NAS and machine was running over network (SMB or CIFS). Yes it works quite well ;).
Anyway, as I restartet the workstation and tried to start my virtual machine a warning message appeared: "This virtual machine appears to be in use. [...]press the "Take Ownership" button". After pressing this button a error message will pop-up: "Error while opening the virtual machine: Taking ownership of this virtual machine failed."
A workaround to solve this problem is quite easy:
- Just go to your directory where virtual machine is saved
- Identify the directory / -ies with suffix ".lck"
- Rename this folders f.e. ".lck.old"
- Restart the virtual machine (could take a little bit longer..) by rightclick on virtual machine in menu and select "Play[...]"
- Test & validate if all is running well
- If all is running well delete the renamed folders