openSUSE Leap 42.2 is not supported anymore. I wrote this guide because I didn't found any official information about updating the openSUSE WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) on Windows. Within a native distribution the openSUSE team strongly recommends the update to 42.3. I share with you this article of my exercise and want to give you a small walkthrough with Win10.
- For sure I assume that you installed already openSUSE on your Win10 system as a WSL. If not please see my other article.
- Start your WSL (e.g. with typing bash.exe on your Win10 command prompt)
Make yourself familiar with the zypper tool that is the central tool for updating your distribution. There is also a good page on the official openSUSE site (see "Further Information"-section)
||Shows all repositories including links|
||Refresh the repository informations|
||Update all packages|
Distribution Upgrade Process
The update is quite easy and the Guideline on the openSUSE wiki can be adapted to a certain degree from my experience. The steps are done as follows and based on the WSL package for openSUSE delivered in Windows Store:
- Find out your installed version (to make sure this step ist still necessary or Windows store was updated in the meantime :)). Version_ID should show "42.2"
- Make sure your packages are at latest stage on Version 42.2
sudo zypper ref
sudo zypper up
- Deactivate all old repositories because you add the new ones in the next steps
zypper mr -adR
- Add the 42.3 repositories to your configuration
zypper ar -n "openSUSE-42.3 OSS" http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.3/repo/oss/ repo-42.3-oss
zypper ar -f -n "openSUSE-42.3 Updates OSS" http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.3/oss/ repo-42.3-update-oss
- Update your Distribution from 42.2 to 42.3
zypper clean -a
- Check if your Distribution is on the right Version - Version_ID should show now "42.3"
You're done :)!
Official Distribution Upgrade Information: https://de.opensuse.org/SDB:Distribution-Upgrade
Zypper Documentation: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage
Credits for picture:
Picture by Richard Tuner - Thanks for permission to use picture, buddy! (Twitter)
Update 2018-04-25: When updating the distribution 42.3 via Zypper you'll get a message "Warning: Repository 'openSUSE-42.3 Updates OSS' appears to be outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server.". Don't panic, there is openSUSE Leap 15 in the pipeline so please be patient. I'll give further updates for upgrade procedure as soon as the final version is out.